Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Evening on the Marshes

Evening on the Marshes, available
Well, one thing that stays constant around here are the wonderful skies and I often catch myself grabbing a camera to take a few evening photos for references. Right now it is way too cold to consider trying to paint such scenes outside! Come spring I would like to try some late evening paintings, will have to be small and I'll have to paint quickly! Meanwhile, I continue to do these small studio paintings from memory and references. As of late my favorite support remains linen with an oil ground mounted on panel. Depending on how bucks up I am, New Traditions remains my favorite but both SourceTex and Art Box make panels I enjoy using. The truth is there is no way I could make panels comparable to any of these for the cost any of them asks. But this painting is on a homemade gesso panel, which for quite awhile was my first choice and may yet be again. 

2 comments:

jme said...

hope you don't mind me commenting (i don't know if it's that kind of blog, but you were kind enough to visit mine ;-)

really lovely sky, and i love what you did with the foreground and the details on the horizon that sort of draw the eye through the scene up to the sky...

i've tried painting on panels without success, but the linen sounds like it would be perfect. i'll have to look them up!

Linda M. Epstein said...

Oh it has been awhile since I posted!

JME thank-you for your kind comments. Were you painting on gessoed panels and did it kind of soak up your paint? I've found I need to think layers when painting on gesso. Hope you do try out the linen on panel, I like the support of the board when painting. I do like checking in on your blog, would like to see your work, too.